It may be an obvious statement that books – particularly those that are unique or rare – make excellent gifts. However, shopping for just the right ones can be both time-intensive and challenging. These three purveyors of new, old and antiquarian books offer exceptional personal service to create a buying experience that is enjoyable, enlightening and a fit within financial parameters.
The Bookshop at 10 Curzon Street, London (Mayfair)
At Heywood Hill, they have a most excellent philosophy/mission statement: “Life is too short to waste time on bad books. Allow us to sort the wheat from the chaff.”
Located on two floors of a Georgian townhouse in London’s tony Mayfair, they are purveyors of new, old and antiquarian books with a specialty in literature, history, architecture, biography and travel. Additionally, they offer a selection of new and classic children’s titles.
As for pedigree, they have been awarded the Royal Warrant of Appointment, “a mark of recognition of those who have supplied goods or services to the Households of HM The Queen, HRH The Duke of Edinburgh or HRH The Prince of Wales.” In 2013, Peregrine ‘Stoker’ Cavendish, 12th Duke of Devonshire, became the sole owner of Heywood Hill, sealing an enduring relationship between the Cavendish family and the bookshop.
Their bespoke services include:
- A Year in Books – monthly/quarterly subscription services
- Library Building – private libraries, hotel libraries, private library sales
- The Gift Service – thank you’s, special occasions and birthdays
- Book Searches – informed assistance in the search for rare books & manuscripts
- Literary Wedding Presents – registry for friends and family
- Shelf Life – creation of personal libraries according to individual tastes
Email: [email protected]
Imperial Fine Books
792 Madison Avenue, 2nd Floor, New York City
Imperial Fine Books Inc. was established in 1989 by Bibi Mohamed, who has been in the field of rare and fine books for over 35 years. This family-owned and operated business is the leading specialist in leatherbound sets and fine bindings in all fields: literature, history, children’s, sporting, colorplate, illustrated, first editions, Cosway, jeweled, and exhibition bindings. Imperial Fine Books is the “Leading Specialist” in Leatherbound sets and Fine Books in all categories, prices range from $l,500 to $50,000.00.
Their services include:
- Gift Services – Recommendations for unique and exceptional books that match the style and interests of the recipient and the parameters of the giver; free same-day service in New York City, next-day across the continental U.S. and worldwide shipping; gift wrapping and handcrafted note enclosure; addition of leather binding and special inscriptions as required
- Library Development – Creation of bespoke libraries furnished with the finest leather-bound books, augmenting an existing library or curating a collection from the beginning
- Custom Bookbinding and Restorations – Bespoke binding created according the desires of the client; use of high-quality materials and traditional techniques at competitive prices; offers archival boxes, Moby Dick slipcases, guest books and albums in leather and cloth.
Fax: (212) 249-0333 Toll Free: (877) 861-6620
Bauman Rare Books
Manhattan, Philadelphia & Las Vegas
Founded over 30 years ago by David and Natalie Bauman, Bauman Rare Books offers an extraordinary selection of fine books and autographs ranging from the 15th through the 20th centuries. With a reputation for meticulous research, an exceptional inventory, and an expert staff, Bauman Rare Books offers an extensive range of client services.
Bauman offers books in a wide range of subjects and price ranges.
Categories include: Americana Art/Architecture & Design /Autographs & Signed Books/Children’s Books/ Literature/Music/ History, Government & Thought/Religion/Science, Medicine & Natural History/ Sport & Leisure/ Travel & Exploration/Photography
Their services include:
- Elegant gift-wrapping and worldwide shipping
- Full catalogue descriptions (history, bibliography and significance) with each purchase; every book is carefully researched to ensure authenticity
- Hand-crafted leather boxes are available ($35o to $1,000) to contain gift purchases. These boxes can be engraved with personalized inscriptions that commemorate the receiver or a particular occasion
- Gift certificates in any denomination
- Special account services to address unique corporate buying needs.
535 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10022
3327 Las Vegas Blvd
Las Vegas, NV 89109
1608 Walnut St, 19th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Our Luxury Hotel Consultants Recommend:
The grandeur and opulence of The Plaza Hotel is recognized around the world. Aside from being one of the most famous 5-star hotels in New York, The Plaza Hotel has been providing timeless service and unsurpassed elegance since the doors first opened in 1907. This Central Park-side resident is listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places alongside other noted landmarks such as the Empire State Building. Rich in New York history, this grand hotel boasts royalty, presidents and celebrities on the guest list.
Located at the corner of 77th and Madison Ave. since 1927, from the outside The Mark appears to be a beautiful heritage hotel. But step through the doors and you’ll be amazed by the contemporary chic of the interior. Rooms feature custom-made beds, Italian linens, specially chosen furniture, and incredible finishing. And with helpful staff and plenty of nearby shopping, dining and dancing, you’ll be at the heart of it all.
The Meatpacking District is a hub of activity with trendy restaurants and a pulsating nightlife scene. Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC fits right into the mix. A chic and modern décor, ample amenities, and an unparalleled party scene make this luxury property not just a hotel, but a destination. Once the sun goes down, this Meatpacking hot spot lights up with retro-style lighting and a hip crowd that gets the evening started.
See all of our New York Luxury HotelsTags:antiquarian books, Bauman Rare Books, book searches, Cavendish family, Curzon Street, Devonshire, gift service, Her Majesty the Queen, Heywood Hill, Imperial Fine Books, Las Vegas, leather book binding, library building, literary wedding presents, London, Mayfair, Nancy Mitford, new york city, Philadelphia